Date:      Wed, 8 May 2019 08:40:32 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   12-STABLE/CURRENT: Dell PowerEdge 2950: Allied Telesis AT-2711FX/SC 100MBit fibre NIC not recognized

Hello,

running FreeBSD 12-STABLE and FreeBSD 11.2 (OPNsense 19.X) on PowerEdge 29=
50
server systems (BIOS/Firmware 2.3.1 as of 2013), Allied Telesis AT-2711FX/=
SC
PCIe 1x Nics are not recognized even by the BIOS/Firmware/hardware as ther=
e is
neither a "none@busXXXXX" entry popping up when examinating via pciconf() =
the
presence of hardware nor does FreeBSD report any recognized or not recogni=
zed
devices of that kind.

I'm not sure whether those fibre NICs of Allied Telesis (AT-2711FX/SC) are
supported antway by FreeBSD, but I though until now if FreeBSD doesn't hav=
e a
clue on a device, it would bring up a "none@" message in pciconf reporting
hardware recognized by the firmare/base system but not the OS. Am I wrong
here?

I haven't tested those NICs in more modern hardware as the boxes are on a
remote site, so it takes time to test, therfor, I asked here first.

I need supported fibre NICs for both 100 MBit and 1GBit for FreeBSD 11 as
well as 12 and if there is a suggestion, please, I'm open to it.

Thanks in advance,

O. Hartmann