Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 16:02:36 -0600
From:      "Martin G. McCormick" <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding Static Routes Specifically for fxp1

	I am trying to use the second Ethernet port on a FreeBSD
system to add a static route to a special network which is not
generally accessible to the world.  The router that serves as the
gateway to this network looks for traffic from a particular IP
address so not just any system can get through.

	The primary interface on the FreeBSD system in question
is the wrong address, but I can configure fxp1 to be the correct
address necessary to communicate.

	Is there any way to put the desired local interface in to
the command so that the FreeBSD system will send the packets to
this special network via fxp1 instead of fxp0 which it normally
wants to use?

	My command right now looks like:

route  add -static hidden_net  hidden_router -hopcount 1 255.255.255.0

	The man page for route appears to not have any way to
specify the local network interface to use, but I have missed the
obvious before.

Many thanks for any constructive suggestions.

Martin McCormick