Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:07:28 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
To:        "Mark Segal" <mark@club-web.com>, "Kevin Day" <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Large httpd log files

At 02:12 AM 2/11/98 -0500, Mark Segal wrote:
>Yup it's quite simple...   There are two things you must do.
>
>Firstly, in your virtual host directive in your httpd.conf make sure you
>define different logs for every virtual domain. like so.
>
><VirtualHost 10.1.1.1>
>DocumentRoot /usr/home/yourname/public_html/
>ServerName www.yourname.com
>ErrorLog logs/yourname-error_log
>TransferLog logs/yourname-access_log
>RefererLog logs/yourname-referer_log
>AgentLog logs/yourname-agent_log
></VirtualHost>
>
>Secondly, you must configure analog to use those files instead.. i found the
>config files a pain so i just recompile it each time (now a script).. just
>change the file locations in the analhead.h

Recompile Analog each time?  Why?

Simpler and faster to run a loop for *log and 'analog +a $logfile' with a simple shell or PERL script.

I had 3 versions.  One with full hosts on, the second with full hosts off for sites with more hits, and another for full hosts that would do directory stats deeper for the personal sites.  A flat file is used for each site to get the values for the site, recipient, type of report, etc.

The original post used one big log which could either be parsed or just run Analog for a directory report and give the totals, but personally I'd rather use the virtual host directive.  Customers also like when they can have their own error page another reason for using virtual.

ErrorDocument 404 <user's_dir>/error.html

Otherwise the servers plain generic is used and you give the customer that warm, fuzzy feeling. ;)

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
mountin.man@mixcom.com