Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:31:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.iaehv.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware RAID

Sorry, if this is not the most appropriate place to ask this, but in
the response on this list is always most usefull.
If there are other places to look for none biased info, please feel free to
redirect me.

We're running a FreeBSD shop, and 2 ccd's on our usenet-news system,
but several other systems I'm searching for a stand-alone RAID.
(SCSI in, SCSI out). We'll probably be wanting to run either level 3 or 5.
I'm aware of the ccd stripe/mirror functionality, but I'm sort of bothered
by the fact that rebuilds have to be done "ofline".

I would be most gratefull if people could advise me on this topic.
Some questions in my mind:
	What are they using?
	How flexible is it?
	What is the penalty of a crashed disk and how fast and easy
	is the system again rebuild.
	How is the RAID managed?
	How much did it cost?

Thanx,
--Willem Jan Withagen.

--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2468500, data: +31-40-2439436
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands