Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:26:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI Drives

> > Insist on ATX form factor, and a case that has (2) fans in addition to the
> > fan inside the PS. Our ATX Full Tower fits the bill, and has gobs of drive
> > space. The extra hieght will also aid in airflow and dissipation.
>
> I've run into a problem with an ATX server's power supply where in case of
> power failure, the machine would not reboot without someone manually
> pushing the button on the front.  The motherboard had no bios setting to
> avoid this, and local service departments were not able to help other than
> to suggest a new mother board.

Yes, that is a problem. We sold some ATX machines to the local gas company
to do real-time flow control w/ QNX, until they realized they could not do
a remote reboot. We had to take back the machines.

> I ended up making up my own circuit to provide a signal pulse signal to
> the power supply triggered and powered off the standby power line.  Works
> fine.

Like a watchdog or what? I don't understand your trigger mechanism, unless
you NAND the power supply and MB power...

> I'm curious to know how common this problem is and whether there's a more
> conventional solution to it?

Well, a reboot causes the machine to shutdown completely, so a BIOS fix
would not work. There are some MBs that use a toggle switch instead of
intermittant, but the cases are based on intermittant (reset-type) powers.

Kevin