Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 00:06:48 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Packages spread across 2 CDs - a solution

It's a PITA having the packages split between 2 CDs, many of the
dependencies are on the other CD so pkg_add fails.

Thanks to Greg Black (who's been a bit quiet of late - where are
you Greg?) who suggested copying the packages from one CD to the
HD and symlinking the other CD, since I got a second HD and had
space to do this I can now install any package irrespective of
which CD its dependencies are on.

If anyone else is fed up with this and you have ~360MB of free disk
space I've written a shell script to do (most of) the work. There's
a hell of a lot of symlinks to create by hand and there is additional
stuff to do, merging the 2 INDEX files, the 2 CHECKSUM.MD5 and 2
CHECKSUMS.MD5 files (the latter includes the checksum for the former
so that needs to be re-calculated), so it was easier to write a script.

I've put it on my website at

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~markov/index.html#pkg_link