Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 20:01:08 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-hackers)
Cc:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com (Bill/Carolyn Pechter)
Subject:   Re: SysV init

(No need to send this to -chat, it's a technical discussion.)

As Bill/Carolyn Pechter wrote:

> Any chance for utmp space to record the run level in future versions
> -- or should I just record it in /var/run/runlevels in it's own file
> for compatibility.

I think the utmp model is already beyond the summit of its life.  See
the recent discussion that followed the utmp.h changes.

It's probably best to leave utmp as it is, until somebody created the
framework to update/replace it, and go with /var/run/runlevels by now.

--
cheers, J"org