Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:06:13 -0600
From:      "Cassidy B. Larson" <butch@infowest.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3ware escalade

I'm actually having a bit of a problem with the 3ware 8506 running 5.1, or
-CURRENT from a week ago.

I can use the machine just fine with all 8, 160GB Seagate (ST3160023AS)
drives working happily in their RAID5 configuration. I've been trying to
simulate a drive failure, and pull one of the hot swap drives out while the
machine is live.  I get a message warning me the array is running in
degraded mode, plug the drive back in, go to my 3dmd web manager and try
rebuilding the array (or from the 3ware bios to rebuild).  Rebuilding starts
just fine.

However, when I reboot (during rebuilding phase) the kernel loads and the
device drivers proceed to load and go through normal bootup phase. However,
about the point that the machine verifies the slices are clean, I get a
core-dump and error out.  From there, the only option is to reboot the
machine, which results in the same, unable to mount the drives stage
(inoperable).

I'm going to try another testing method and create a 2 drive mirror array
and a 6 drive RAID5. Hopefully, if I pull one of the drives of the RAID5, I
can boot successfully during Rebuilding stage.  Then the next test is to
pull one of the mirrored array.

Anybody have similar experiences with the 8506 and rebooting in a Rebuilding
stage, but unable to use the OS? I'd be interested to hear.

If more information is needed, please let me know as I can record the errors
appropriately after this next Array gets built and the OS installed.

Thanks,

Cassidy