Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 00:52:38 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   *HEADS UP* Correction to previous postings.

Please note that in the recent postings regarding the changes to the
fashion in which the root filesystem is located and mounted there has
been a fundamental factual error on my part.

This error *will* cause users with dedicated disks serious problems,
unless they adopt the same procedure require by non-dedicated disk
users.

The error in this case was the assumption that partitions on a dedicated
disk were handled as though they were truly equivalent to the
compatability slice entries.  This is not correct; rather they appear
as though they were in the first slice on the disk.

In short, then:

 - /sbin/mount must be updated on all systems.
 - /etc/fstab for all systems should be updated to reflect the
   change as indicated by mount at boot time.  This change can occur
   when convenient, as mount will search for the correct filesystem
   in the compatability case.

Changes to correct the earlier mistakes have been committed.

Please accept my apologies for the previous misinformation, and the
inconvenience that this has caused by being rushed.