Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 11:25:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Yves Lepage <yves@CC.McGill.CA>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        yves@maelstrom.CC.McGill.CA
Subject:   IBM HD's

Hi all,

During my attemps to install FreeBSD on some 50 machines for
one of the Inet96 workshops, I had to fight with a few of these
machines which had one of these two kind of HD:

- IBM-DALA
- Quantum Fireball

I could partition the disks no problem and I could do a bad block scan
with also no problem. Problems began when I created the Unix filesystems.

First, I'd get an error message that FreeBSD couldn't swap on
wd0s2b because the device is not configured. Then, the creation
of a filesystem on wd0a would fail. Just as if the labeler
didn't know how to access these disks.

I suspect that these two disks have a strange controller (IDE).
Did anyone encounter this kind of problem before and if so,
what did they do to solve it?

Thanks a lot,
Yves Lepage

PS: yes I did play with the geometry parameters but that didn't do
anything.