Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 05:41:17 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old standards

> On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Wm Brian McCane wrote:
>
> > > On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Wm Brian McCane wrote:
> > >
> > The algorithm used by this chip was a lossy algorithm.  It had a single bit of
> > data per sample.  The sample would start at say 127, then each 0 bit decreases
> > the value by 1, and each 1 bit increased it by 1.  If there are 3 bits in a
> > row which are identical, the algorithm uses a catchup value from that point
> > on, say a value of 3, until the current value crosses over the actual target
> > value.  This procedure continues for the entire play back, and `approximates'
> > the input data.  There are two problems with this algorithm, one is that it is
> > lossy, however at 32K/second the target value doesn't tend to change more than
> > a couple of bits either way.  The second problem is a `hiss' equal to 1/2 the
> > sample rate because it is NOT possible to play silence.  Instead it plays back
> > 127,128,127,128,127,128,127,128,127,128,127,128.  Actually, now that I think
> > about it, there was a 3rd possible problem.  When approximating you could
> > overshoot the size of a byte, and get a POP when the value went from 0 to 255
> > quickly.
>
> This sounds like adaptive delta mod, which is not limited to an 8 bit
> range.  At 32K, it would sounds pretty good, I'd think.

I believe that it was called Adaptive Delta Pulse Code Modulation (ADPCM).  I
have the datasheets here for the chip, but I cannot find them.  They gave a
really nice quality playback at 32K/sec.  One trick, that we used was a 16KHz
filter on the microphone connection.  This completely eliminated the hiss and
made it sound nearly CD quality actually.  Our HBD was and as far as I know
still is the envy of the industry because we had such good speech, and it was
easily changable.  Customer would order `Think Safety' EPROM, and drop it in
for their slogan.  Other companies used various things including tape, and
none sounded as good or were nearly as reliable.

	brian