Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 21:00:18 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Joe Clarke <marcus@miami.edu>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Continuing ahc problems - also cause fxp failure

In message <200105261957.f4QJvEB01244@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon
writes:
>     Ok, I've managed to upgrade my Dell 2400 BIOS from A03 to A07.  I don't
>     see any sort of bios upgrade for the 7890/91 (on-board) or the 7880 (card
> )
>     but from other emails I gather then on-board 7890/91's bios is part of
>     the system bios, and that's the ahc that was crashing (the PCI card is
>     just connected to a cdrom).  I've got the console hooked up to record
>     whatever happens.
>
>     Now we'll wait and see :-)

You say you have a 7880 card that I assume you purchased separately or
was installed separately by the vendor?  If that's the case the BIOS
upgrade at Adaptec's site could be applied.

The URL for the 2940UW (7880 chipset) BIOS upgrade is:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=%2F
Product%2FAHA-2940UW&prodkey=AHA-2940UW at the bottom of the page.

The 2940UW BIOS upgrade is only to be applied to retail 2940UW's, e.g.
not those sold by OEM's on a motherboard.  Two BIOS upgrades are
available 1.34.3 and 2.20

The problem I had may be totally unrelated to yours but if any of this
helps then by all means try it.

My problem was that the system would randomly freeze.  Most of the time
the SCSI LED (I connected the IDE controller to the disk LED and the
SCSI controller to the turbo LED) would be lit when the system would
freeze.  Adaptec's specs for the 2940UW state that the card uses the
PCI 2.0 protocol.  Disabling PCI 2.1 using BIOS setup (reverting to PCI
2.0) resolved my problem.

This might be worth a try.  It's inexpensive and low risk to try it.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC