Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 2016 02:35:34 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg upgrade issue

> On 22 February 2016, at 02:13, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 10:03:14PM -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> On a FreeBSD 9.3 P33 system, I don't seem to be able to upgrade =
packages:
>>=20
>> sermons# pkg upgrade
>> Updating repository catalogue
>> pkg: =
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest//re=
po.txz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>>=20
> Can you show the output of pkg -vv please?
>=20
> I'm more interested in the lines below "Repositories:"

I copied /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf from another 9.3 system that works:

sermons# pkg -vv
pkg: Invalid configuration format, ignoring the configuration file
version: 1.0.11
abi: freebsd:9:x86:64
db dir: /var/db/pkg
cache dir: /var/cache/pkg
ports dir: /usr/ports
Log into syslog: yes
Assume always yes: no
Repository: none

Removing /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf (original status):
sermons# pkg -vv
version: 1.0.11
abi: freebsd:9:x86:64
db dir: /var/db/pkg
cache dir: /var/cache/pkg
ports dir: /usr/ports
Log into syslog: yes
Assume always yes: no
Repository: none

sermons# pkg update
Updating repository catalogue
pkg: PACKAGESITE is not defined.

PACKAGESITE was defined in ~/.cshrc as:
setenv PACKAGESITE =
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/

That was removed for the above test.  It was present for the previously =
report pkg output.

As I remember this system was updated to 9.x when there were issues with =
the package system being rebuilt and a workaround was needed.  I no =
longer recall where all the pieces of that were.