Date:      	Mon, 3 Jul 1995 12:32:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        James Leppek <jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: ppp

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, James Leppek wrote:

> How did you configure your netblazer(what they have) to do this?

  IMO, Netblazer's don't make a very good PPP server.  I don't believe
that dynamic IP assignment out of an address pool is possible with the 2.3
software.  You can get different systems with proper PPP negotiation for
much less.

> was it configured to assert a particular IP based on password like most?
> As I indicated, I asked that they should certainly refused IP's they
> do not have authority over as a minimum, but I have no "real"
> ability to do anything. I also love to constantly hear "the windows
> and linux users do not have a problem" AAARRRRGGGG

  If you need to convince them that there is problem, see if the their mail
server(s) is on the same subnet as the Netblazer and use that IP address.
This will convince them quite quickly.

> what is magic about 192.0.0.1? should ppp map a users configuration
> request to some arbitrary alternate IP. Set ifaddr is there for
> a purpose and even gives "ifaddr 0 0" in an example.

  Nothing is special about 192.0.0.1.  No magic remapping should actually
be taking place.

Tom