Date:      Sat, 02 Sep 2000 12:13:07 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "Maxim Sobolev" <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "nakai@FreeBSD.org" <nakai@FreeBSD.org>, "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: New vesion of xfce (3.5)

On Sat, 02 Sep 2000 18:49:55 +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

>Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
>> Any ideas when/if you will have a chance to upgrade the Xfce port to
>> 3.5?
>
>I've submitted my patches on the topic to nakai (maintainer) about a week ago,
>but have not heard anything from him yet. If he will not respond by Monday then
>I'll commit my update w/o approval.
>-Maxim

I was feeling adventorous so I tried to compile from source. :-)
It took me a while, but I figured it out. In particular I wanted
to compile without sound support. After I did configure I
removed the sound directory from the list of directories to try
to compile.

I just finished a second ago, literally, and so far so good. I
highly prefer to use ports, but XFCE just seems to be moving
faster than most porters would feel confortable keeping up.

Could you share what you did to upgrade the port. Or are the
diffs available somewhere?
I want to learn how to help out in the future when one of the
ports I use needs updating.
I think many times upgrades to ports are simple if one knows
where to look. The problem is that I think there is an initial
learning curve that is a bit steep if one has never worked with
ports and make files.