Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:57:52 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: If a disk is mounted read only is it possible to corrupt it?

"Brian T. Schellenberger" wrote:

> On Monday 22 July 2002 06:23 am, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> | Philip Hallstrom wrote:
> | > Hi all -
> | >         This seems like an obvious answer, but I didn't see anything in
> | > the man pages or the FQ so...
> | >
> | > If I mount *all* of my partitions as read only (ignoring the problems of
> | > needing to write log files, etc. for now) and then cut the power to the
> | > server, is there any chance of corrupting the disk?  It seems that
> | > FreeBSD wouldn't do it, but would the disk itself do it?
> |
> | That depends on the disk you're using. If you have problem with your
> | power supply, you should better think 'bout an uninterruptable power
> | supply.
>
> Unless there is a power surge or physical trauma, a disk most certainly should
> not be capable of "self-corrupting" unless a write has been issued, and if
> they are mounted r/o then FreeBSD will never issue a write.

I meant really old disks (we have some "gaming" machines with such disks) which
are not able to do an auto park, etc. Such a disk could loose control over it's
r/w head and physically corrupts magnetic particles on the disk surface.
That's what I meant - sorry for to black writing.

--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W