Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2017 00:30:00 -0500
From:      Leif Pedersen <bilbo@hobbiton.org>
To:        freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Cc:        Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amazon/xen... any way at all to pass a message/signal/semaphoere/morse-code to the boot loader?

I keep an extra EBS volume handy that has a simple recovery image. If I get
stuck into a trouble, I change the normal boot disk to sdb, and attach my
recovery volume as sda1. Essentially, the extra volume is my "recovery
partition". To make it cheaper, keep only a snapshot of it.

Same idea on Google Compute Engine.