Date:      Fri, 18 May 2012 03:45:43 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Evan Martin <evan@chromium.org>
Cc:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>, freebsd-chromium@freebsd.org, John Hixson <john@ixsystems.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chrome crashing system (amd64-10.0-CURRENT)

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 04:12:15PM -0700, Evan Martin wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> wrote:
> > Thanks.  I tried those, and it still locked up.
> >
> > I finally just moved away ~/.config/chromium, and it started up OK.
> > Luckily, I was able to restore pretty much everything from my synced
> > data.
>
> It's a little surprising to me that a userspace app is able to nuke
> your system, but perhaps the bug is just something mundane like out of
> control memory allocations and it's just swapping.

I just discovered while poking around again under ~/.config that my old
chromium directory (that is, the directory file itself) had somehow
become corrupted.  This was most likely what was causing chrome to go
berserk before.

I'm using SU+J here, and this problem wasn't detected by fsck before.  I
only discovered it this evening when, after having already deleted all
of the files in the directory, rmdir failed with the error message
"Directory not empty".

After booting single-user and running fsck twice (to force it not to use
the journal), looks like everything's back to normal now.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net