Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 1996 19:23:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   using FreeBSD with POP at ISP

Hi there

Maybe I should direct this to -questions but:

I'm setting up a network with the following components: 5x MS WFW3.11
for Netscape client use, 5x Sun Sparcs for 'real' applics. One 386/40
with FreeBSD 2.0.5R is used as a proxy server connecting the network
to the outside world using dialup user-PPP on a 28K8 modem.

If you think this is overloading the PPP link you are probably correct,
but this is a low-budget technical youth club affair. And after the last
patches to user PPP it really works remarkably well and not too slow even.

Now the question: the ISP runs Win NT servers (yikes, I know). Email is
normally handled using POP from the NT box to the ISP's client. As you
can guess, having 10 different clients hanging off a local proxy is
very non-typical for the ISP. What I need to do is making some sort
of POP connection from the proxy machine to the ISP, getting the
mail out and sendmailing it to the Suns and (probably??) POPing it
further to the WFW PCs.

Is this feasible at all or just plain bogus? And if it's feasible
how to proceed?

Thanks for input,
	Wilko