Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 04:09:37 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre@akademie3000.de>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd with other filesystems

the 'a' partition is reserved for the rootfs, as 'b' is for swap and 'c'
for the whole device.
you should use 'e' and p for payload (eg. mounted filesystems)

i dont quite know why it is still possible doing a newfs on a 'c'
partition, since the partition type is 'unused' and not '4.2BSD'. newfs
should check this and throw an error while providing an
expert-only-feature command line option to explicitly override it.
it is a bad thing[tm] to be able to wedge every single blockdev in your
system by (ab)using newfs.

/k

Andre Albsmeier(andre@akademie3000.de)@Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 04:28:46PM +0200:

--