Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 95 14:28:48 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        james@hermes.cybernetics.net (James Robinson)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another ISP question

> So, here's the hardware to start out with:
>
> 	DX2/66 EISA w/32M RAM
> 	adaptec 1742 or buslogic equiv
> 	boca 16 port I/O card attached to 16 14.4 modem lines
> 	couple gig of disk space spread across three disks, giving a
> 		few hundred M of swap.
> 	Cheapo vid card + monitor -- I've already got a good X station.
> 	16bit ethernet card for LAN out to bridge, be it ISDN or
> 		frame relay fractional T1.

Cisco Systems has an ethernet/modem/V.34 sync serial card that handles
frame relay for ~$1795; the government (school?) cost is ~$1495.

The rate limit on the v.34 is 2.048Mb/S (European "T1").

Line install and modem for single PVC to a cloud is ~$1000 (US West).

Line costs are (apparently) $99/Month (56k) or $395/Month (T1).

More information available from Cisco + US West (or your own RBOC).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.