Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:00:42 -0300
From:      Jean Milanez Melo <jmelo@freebsdbrasil.com.br>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strategy to get ggated device mutually available in two systems

Hello Geom'ers,

What is the ideal strategy to get ggated device mutually available in
two different systems, in a combination with gmirror class?

I have tried some different approaches. My original idea was to
gg.export a partition and use this same partition to 1) gmirror with a
second disk on the local machine and 2) gmirror with the remote disk on
the remote machine. Only the second step was possible because I could
not export a gmirrored partition nor I could gmirror an exported partition.

Now I am thinking of associating the local partition with a ggateN
device using ggatel(8), export one of those (maybe the ggate local one,
maybe the real device, I dont know yet) in such a way the exported
device can, somehow (virtually, via ggate local device or phisically) be
used for both, ggate exported device and gmirrored device.

Or, if any other strategy seems more correct, I would appreciate
suggestions. In summary I want to have gmirrored enviroment in two
servers with one device commom to both servers, so I can be confident
that both systems will always access the same data from both machines.

If I can make my goals any clearer, let me know.

Thank you.
Jean