Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 12:34:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Satya Devireddy <satya@dspsoft.com>
To:        kclark <kclark@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Web hosting

> I would like to run FreeBSD on my box for hosting.  Will this be able to
> handle(dumb Q) and what other software would I need?

I think FreeBSD + Apache will be able to handle it very well (better than
anything out there!!).

FreeBSD 2.x or 3.0 (Sept 15th release)
Apache 1.3.1

May be required:
BIND (named) - aka DNS (if you want your own DNS)

Optional:
1) If you want to use FrontPage to publish your sites then you need the
frontpage extensions. I haven't tried this yet. but heard it causes a lot
of headaches (Anybody got a step by step instructions??)

2) SSL - to setup secure shops

check the /usr/ports/www/apache13   for plain apache
also checkout www.apache.org

-Satya