Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 18:09:18 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        smp@csn.net, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q) SMP Kernel compilation

Keith Mitchell wrote:

> > Hi,
> > >   I have the following compilation error as of Apr. 19th, 2300GMT
> > > SMP source.  What am I wrong?
> > >
> > > # make depend; make
>
> > have you updated all the rest of your source recently, followed by a
> > "make world"?  todays SMP tree is tied to the 3.0-current post Lite-2 merge
> > code.  in other words you need to get everything else up to date to be able
> > to use todays SMP code.
>
> > assumming everything else is current, clean the old objects out first, ie:
> >  make clean; make depend; make (in your SMP kernel build directory)
>
> I had the same problem with USER_LDT defined in the kernel config.  I also
> have problems getting the linux emaulation lkm working.  Both work fine

Ahh, USER_LDT..  I have not tested that...  I wouldn't be suprised if that
is plain broken in the smp tree at the moment.

> with the UP kernel.  (both UP and SMP kernel are from April 19th around
> 5:00PM EDT).  The linux lkm gives undefined references like:
>
> /lkm/linux_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_curproc' referenced from text segment
> /lkm/linux_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_curproc' referenced from text segment
> /lkm/linux_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_curproc' referenced from text segment
> /lkm/linux_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_curproc' referenced from text segment
> /lkm/linux_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_curproc' referenced from text segment
> /lkm/linux_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_curproc' referenced from text segment
> /lkm/linux_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_curproc' referenced from text segment
> /lkm/linux_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_curproc' referenced from text segment
> /lkm/linux_mod.o: Undefined symbol `_curproc' referenced from text segment
>

> Also, when compiling the lkm's with the smp kernel, I still get a lot of
> files tring to include opt_smp.h and opt_smp_invltlb.h.  I don't know if
> these errors occur anywhere else in the tree.

I don't like to risk my system with LKM's when mixing up different kernel
versions..  If you were able to load a SMP lkm on a -current kernel, it
could be a disaster, and vice versa.  If you want Linux compat, compile
with "options COMPAT_LINUX" and play it safe since it's statically
compiled in.  I think we've got a lot of work to make the LKM's
smp-loadable.

Cheers,
-Peter