Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 1997 01:25:51 +0100
From:      Stefan.Bethke@Hanse.DE (Stefan Bethke)
To:        peruzzi@krenet.it (Simone Peruzzi)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pci to appletalk adapter???

In article <343cf08b.1472197@News.unipg.it>, peruzzi@krenet.it (Simone
Peruzzi) wrote:

> Hi everybody!
> I wanna know two things:
> first , if it does exist an adapter to fit inside a PC with WIN 95 in
> order to use it as a printer server. I tried at Daynastar but I
> couldn't find it. I was told there was an internal card (Pci standard)
> that could fit into. Is it true?
> Second: does anybody know the way to correctly use an NT server as a
> printer server?
> Thanks everybody.
> Bye from Italy
> Simone

Just in case you didn't receive a reply yet:
"AppleTalk" is a protocol suite, independent of the network media. What
you probably mean is "LocalTalk", a networking system built into every Mac
and many printers.

To print to a printer via LocalTalk from FreeBSD, you'll need a network
connection to the printer, and appropiate software.

While there is a driver for an adapter not sold any more (for the last
three years) to support LocalTalk, the easiest way is to get an
Ethernet<->LocalTalk adapter for approx. $100, from vendors like Asante,
Dayna or Farallon.

Then, install the package/port netatalk, which allows you to print to
Postscript printers connected via AppleTalk.

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
Stefan.Bethke@Hanse.DE