Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 00:33:05 +0000
From:      "Keith Just" <keithj@iafrica.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD from Hitach  IDE Atapi 4-speed CD-rom

I was hoping you could perhaps help me with this, or at least point me
in the right direction.
I'm a first-time user trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2
I'm booting from the image floppy.
Do you have any idea what  I should be selecting under the device
selection of FreeBSD install, in order to get my Hitachi X4 Atapi IDE
CD-rom drive to work ?

The CD-rom is connected on the same cable as the sole seagate 1Gig
hardrive, a setup which worked fine under dos.

I've tried IDE/ESDI/MFM DISK CONTROLLER  (wdc0),
This enables my hardrive, but not my cdrom.
There are no device conflicts.

During install i get the message "Error mounting /dev/wcd0c on /dist:
Input/otput error (5)

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2 from CD-ROM.
Some more info :
During the detection phase i get the following :

wcd0:unit 1 (atapi) : <HITACHI CDR-7730/0008c, removable, iordy
wcd0:689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache ,audio play, 128 volume levels,
wcd0:ejectable tray
wcd0:media type unknown, unlocked

Obviously the CD Rom is being seen, but the system doesn't seem
to know its a CD Rom.

They said it would be tough to install, but I can't even get out of
the starting blocks.

Keith Just
UUNet Internet Africa
National Support Centre