Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:55:23 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get djbdns to start early enough to satisfy ntpd at boot?

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:00:01PM +0000, Ben Morrow wrote:
> Quoth Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>:
> >
> > So: does anyone know how to modify the boot-time order so that
> > svscan starts at (or before) the point in the boot cycle where
> > BIND would, on other systems?  I suspect that it should be

> I have, in my svscan.sh,
>
>     # PROVIDE: svscan
>     # REQUIRE: SERVERS cleanvar
>
> and I also have a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dnscache which looks like
[snip]

> and a /usr/local/etc/svc.subr as attached. It's somewhat more general
> than is needed for dnscache, as I also use it to start qmail.
>
> Basically: the PROVIDE: named line is needed to get dnscache up before
> ntpd, and the REQUIRE: LOGIN line needs to be changed.

Wow, those scripts are an extremely cool integration of the
rcorder framework and the svscan framework.  Could these be
incorporated into the daemontools and djbdns ports as permanent
goodness?  I'll give them a try-out myself, pronto.  (Might also
investigate clockspeed, per Jan's suggestiong, too.)

Cheers,

Andrew