Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:10:31 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        j.wards@sportnetwork.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: optimizing the kernel

-----Original Message-----
From: "John Wards" <j.wards@sportnetwork.net>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:13:50 +0100
Subject: optimizing the kernel

hi I'm new (groan)

I am running FreeBSD 4 and I am unsure if my kernel is optimized for my
processor and ram. how do I go about this?

be gentle with me....

John Wards
SportNetwork.net

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Find the CPU in the GENERIC kernel that is closest to=20
yours and comment out the others.  (Don't comment out=20
the line for the i386 architecture by mistake,=20
assuming that's what you have.)

Look in /etc/defaults/make.conf for a list of=20
processor types you can put in the CPUTYPE line.  Then=20
everything you build, including the kernel and FreeBSD=20
itself, will be optimized for that CPU type.  Don't=20
uncomment or change anything in=20
/etc/defaults/make.conf.  Instead,=20

cp /etc/defaults/make.conf /etc

and make any changes in /etc/make.conf.

Re optimizations for RAM - sorry, don't know of any.

Jud