Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:39:23 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems do not work???

> On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 07:15:00PM -0400, Ugen Antsilevitch wrote:
> > Supporting winmodems
> > btw would be nice, although i doubt manufacturers will give us their code.
>
> That might not be necessary, eventually.  I've heard, obliquely,
> of a project to develop "open source" modem (data pump) software
> that is obviously aimed at these things.  It's not rocket science
> (well, not to DSP folks), and it is well and truly standardised.
> It would be a good final-year EE project in the right school.
> Also, since the theoretical limits of the POTS channel have pretty
> much been reached with V.34-bis or V.90, it's not even a moving
> target any more.  No wonder they're cheap now.
>
> Does anyone know whether there's more to a "WinModem" than a
> line hybrid, a codec and a PCI interface?

It depends.  Some of them put the DSP on the card, but expect you to do
the V.xx encoding in software; others want it all.

Note that the DSP part of the work is the easy bit; the rest of the
line protocols less so.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org