Date:      Thu, 3 Nov 2022 19:59:45 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        iio7@tutanota.com
Cc:        Freebsd Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the status of the FreeBSD development process now?

--00000000000039915d05ec9b6e98

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022, 7:39 PM <iio7@tutanota.com> wrote:

> Nov 4, 2022, 01:34 by imp@bsdimp.com:
>
> > According to my data, reviews are up significantly since that email.
> >
> > I'm guessing you haven't been able to confirm anything has changed
> because
> > you've not actually looked for data, since it's trivially easy to find
> that data.
> >
> No, I have looked. I never said that I didn't find anything. However, what
> I was
> suspecting to find was a set of rules put in place to prevent anything
> like the
> wireguard issue from happening again.

Your expectations are off. You need to look at the data.

I guess my expectations were too high. Sure, things has improved, but
> without
> a clear set of rules - like ALL commits must be reviewed before going into
> the
> kernel, base, etc. - the same problem can happen again.

Now I know you are trolling...

Nobody that's has done engineering for any length of time would expect
reviews to catch all problems. That's at best wishful thinking and at worst
a horribly toxic management culture.

What has happened is that there is more review, the commits are generally
much much smaller and more people are reading the commits after the fact. I
half jokingly told a coworker recently the fastest way to find a problem in
my code is to commit it since so many people read it, I get feedback right
away.

Again, these things are present in the data.  There are way more tests than
being committed than before. There is more CI coverage than before. There
are efforts to greatly expand that. The layered approach gies a long way
towards catching issues like this than before. Thinking promulgating some
simplistic rule change is at best overly simplistic think and disingenuous
trolling at worst.

Warner

Kind regards.

--00000000000039915d05ec9b6e98

class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Nov 3, 2022, 7:39 PM  &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ii=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex">Nov 4, 2022, 01:34 by <a href=3D"mailto:imp@bsdimp.com" targ=
et=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">imp@bsdimp.com</a>:<br>
&gt; According to my data, reviews are up significantly=C2=A0since that ema=
il.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;m guessing you haven&#39;t been able to confirm anything has cha=
nged because<br>
&gt; you&#39;ve not actually looked for data, since it&#39;s trivially easy=
 to find that data.<br>
&gt;<br>
No, I have looked. I never said that I didn&#39;t find anything. However, w=
hat I was<br>
suspecting to find was a set of rules put in place to prevent anything like=
 the<br>
 class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 =
0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
I guess my expectations were too high. Sure, things has improved, but witho=
ut<br>
a clear set of rules - like ALL commits must be reviewed before going into =
the<br>
kernel, base, etc. - the same problem can happen again.<br></blockquote></d=
39;s has done engineering for any length of time would expect reviews to ca=
tch all problems. That&#39;s at best wishful thinking and at worst a horrib=
uto">What has happened is that there is more review, the commits are genera=
lly much much smaller and more people are reading the commits after the fac=
t. I half jokingly told a coworker recently the fastest way to find a probl=
em in my code is to commit it since so many people read it, I get feedback =
 things are present in the data.=C2=A0 There are way more tests than being =
committed than before. There is more CI coverage than before. There are eff=
orts to greatly expand that. The layered approach gies a long way towards c=
atching issues like this than before. Thinking promulgating some simplistic=
 rule change is at best overly simplistic think and disingenuous trolling a=
kquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #cc=
c solid;padding-left:1ex">
Kind regards.<br>

--00000000000039915d05ec9b6e98--