Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 18:21:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bret Ford <bford@uop.cs.uop.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP issues

Greetings,

    I've been tracking FreeBSD-stable for a couple of weeks now, and
I've have two difficulties.
   I have an 486DX/2 66mhz that I'm using as a gateway to the internet
for the machines at our house.  An ISDN interface, running at 230K, is
connected to a Byterunner card with 2 16650 UARTS.  Using user
PPP with -alias, 2 desktops and a portable over our little LAN
are sharing the ISDN adapter and generally, everything is great.
However, I'm getting periodic "silo overflow" messages.  I notice them,
in particular, when I'm cvsup'ing the source tree.  An initial patch of
2.2.2-RELEASE yielded a couple hundred such errors, but nothing fatal.
Am I missing a kernel parameter, or other change to the source tree,
that might resolve this problem?
   The other problem I've had has occured only in FreeBSD-stable.
Under -release, I was able to do "ppp -alias provider >& /dev/null &"
to start a session.  When trying that under -stable, I get a message
from ppp saying "exception detected." and no connection.  Is this
a "feature" that has been corrected?  This generally isn't a
problem, because the dumb terminal I use as a console from com1 on
the Byterunner generally isn't fiddled with while we're connected.

Thanks for any help ye can give.
(BTW, to the FreeBSD wizards in the dev. team: Kudos on a great OS!)

Bret Ford