Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 10:05:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        faubus@fastlane.net (James Faubus)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsiconf.c

As James Faubus wrote:

(Peter:)
> >I don't know if I'm the culprit or not, but scsi_probedev is using
> >scsi_selectdev to find the bestmatch in the scsi_devs table, and
> >then it uses the type field in scsi_devs to override the type
> >returned by the device.  Look at the very end of scsi_probedev.
> >So if you change "T_OPTICAL" to "T_DIRECT" to fake your device out
> >as a direct device and hook your device up to the sd driver. The
> >"mx1" entries in scsiconf can't be working correctly.

I've changed this in current, and added actually two fields to the
struct.  One is used to match the device, and the second one to assign
an actual driver for it.  This was necessary in order to get the
CD-R's probed, and the list archive will have a record from our
discussion about dating back around October, 1995.  The tenor has been
then ``Yes, we should change the matching algorithm.''

> Well I too was able to get the PD to work by making similar changes
> to scsi_device_register().

Please, try the `od' driver instead.

--
cheers, J"org