Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:08:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How stable is soft updates?

jfesler@gigo.com wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > [about soft-updates]
 >  1: how stable is it :-)

We're using it on some boxes in production use, no problems so
far.  One of them is a Squid web proxy, 512 Mb RAM, 3 x 9 Gb +
4.5 Gb disks, currently 800,000 files (and growing).

 >  2: If I somehow manage to boot from a kernel lacking soft updates,
 >     will the partition still be mountable (ie, sans soft updates)?

It will just work (but without soft-updates, of course).  Soft-
updates is not a special  filesystem format or something like
that, it uses just the normal Berkeley FFS/UFS format.  The
soft-update code just handles write access to such filesystems
in a special way (which is enabled by a single flag in the
"super block").  A kernel without soft-updates support will
just ignore that flag and handle write access the usual way.

 >  3: How do we tunefs "/" ?

Boot in single-user mode ("boot -s"), make sure that "/" is
mounted read-only and is clean, tunefs, reboot.  The following
example assumes you're using your first SCSI disk:

# mount
/dev/da0s1a on / (local, read-only)
# fsck /dev/rda0s1a
# tunefs -n enable /dev/rda0s1a
soft updates set
# reboot

It is not necesary to press the reset button (or even power-
off the machine) like it was in pre-3.1 days.  I'm not sure
if it's necessary to reboot, it might even work to go multi-
user immediately.  In any case, "mount" will tell you
afterwards if soft-updates was enabled successfully.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)