Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 2020 13:53:56 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Q. ntp pseudo service in a jail

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 1:45 PM Jon Radel <jon@radel.com> wrote:

> On 7/30/20 16:03, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> > I need a jail to provide responses to ntp queries.  I do not need (or
> want) the
> > jail to adjust the system time.  I just need it to provide whatever tim=
> the
> > host OS has whenever it is queried.  Can this requirement be met?
> >

> You can probably do what you want with the reference ntpd code if you
> set it up to have only a LOCAL driver.  This takes the system clock as
> the source of truth.

server  127.127.1.0
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 5

> Make sure to set a really high stratum with fudge so that people don't
> have to hate on you if you leak the quite possibly crap time further
> than you expect.

LOCAL is going to get time from the host, right?  Clocks are shared.

--=20

"Well," Brahm=C4=81 said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is =
no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mah=C4=81bh=C4=81rata