Date:      27 Mar 1997 15:18:26 +0100
From:      Martin Ostermann <ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rpc.yppasswdd and Linux clients.

Hi,

I'm trying to replace a Linux server with a FreeBSD machine in a
scenario of a File/NIS server with about 25 Linux-1.2 clients. This is
for a student course starting in two weeks.

So far I managed to get a setup where the clients get the passwd via
yp, also that still lacks the fullname, shell and home dir
entries. But I am confident to get that managed.

Anyway, what really bits me is the fact, that the clients complain
about rpc.yppasswdd not running on the host, while in fact it is.
On Linux I tried it the orignal yppasswd-0.5 and ypclients-2.2
package.

BTW, calling 'passwd <yp-account>' or 'passwd -y <yp-account>' on the
FreeBSD server causes it to catch a SEGV, while giving a non-existent
account name will give the correct "unknown" user Error.

Any quick help is appreciated, because if I can't get it up by next
week, I'd have reinstall the Linux server :-(

Thanks, Martin

PS.: This is with RELEASE-2.2
--
Martin Ostermann                | mailto:ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de