Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 08:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/19894: confusingly-named punctuation in style(9)

The following reply was made to PR docs/19894; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To: Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:52:42 +0200

 On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 17:55:51 +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:

 >  .Pp
 > -Usage statements should look like the manual pages synopsis.  Options w/o
 > +Usage statements should look like the manual pages synopsis.  Options without

 Break that sentence off onto its own new line. :-)

 Usage statements should look like the manual pages synopsis.
 Options without

 >  operands come first, in alphabetical order inside a single set of
 > -braces, followed by options with operands, in alphabetical order,
 > -each in braces, followed by required arguments in the order they
 > -are specified, followed by optional arguments in the order they
 > -are specified.  A bar
 > +brackets, followed by options with operands, in alphabetical order,
 > +each in brackets, followed by required arguments in the order they
 > +are specified, not in brackets, followed by optional arguments in the order they
 > +are specified, in brackets.  A bar

 There's another too-long line in here, again the symptom of poor line
 breaking.  Each sentence should begin on its own line, and sentences
 which don't fit on a single line (<72 chars) should be broken on
 sentence fragments if possible:

 Options without operands come first, in alphabetical order
 inside a single set of brackets,
 followed by options with operands, in alphabetical order,
 each in brackets,
 followed by required arguments in the order they are specified,
 not in brackets,
 followed by optional arguments in the order they are specified,
 in brackets.
 A bar
 [...]

 This is awful English.  I think it might be better to do this as a
 bullet list.  But now we're moving further from the original problem.
 It often happens like this, especially with manual pages that receive
 lots of piecemeal updates.  ;-)

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.