Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 00:09:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: benign message, or something to worry about?

The Hermit Hacker wrote...

> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x4e - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1,
> SCSISIGI == 0x0
> SEQADDR == 0xa
> SSTAT1 == 0xa
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Queuing a BDR SCB
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Bus Device Reset Message Sent
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
> ahc0: Bus Device Reset on A:0. 31 SCBs aborted
>

> Possible drive problem, or just normal operation?

It could be a drive problem.  It means that the drive didn't complete an
I/O before the timeout.  The read/write timeout in the da driver is
currently 60 seconds.

We had to hit the drive with a BDR to get it to "wake up".

We can generally recover from that sort of problem, but it generally
indicates a firmware problem of some sort with the drive.  The most
notorious drives for that sort of problem are the Quantum Atlas II's.

What sort of drive is it?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry