Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 1996 00:37:20 -0600
From:      Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm stumped ... LPD problems

>    Randy> I have 3 systems, all 2.05R. The two remotes are dialed
>    Randy> into ISP's in their cities. I have /etc/printcap entries on
>    Randy> the local system for both remotes.  After installation,
>    Randy> both systems printed ok.
>
>Meaning, printed OK from the local host to the two remote ones, right?

Yes, local could print to both remotes. Still can to the other one. The
other one had this happen once, but a reboot cured it.

>    Randy> One system has stopped, and I can't find any reason for
>    Randy> it. The status is now 'waiting for xx.xx.xx.xx to come
>    Randy> up'.
>
>You get this with lpq on the local host?  Can you rlogin/telnet to the
>remote host and check the queue there?  If so, can you ``telnet
><remotehost> printer'' and poke the lpd there?

Yes, local lpq. Everything on the remote appears normal: I can ping it, I
can telnet it, I can print things while telnet'ed to the remote and they
come out.

You lost me on the "telnet <remote> printer .... poke". What port do I come
in on, and what do I type to see if lpd responds? (and what should lpd respond?)

Thanks for the assistance.

Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
AOS/VS, FreeBSD, DOS:
I'm in a maze of twisty little command interpreters, all different.