Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:00:01 -0700
From:      "Paul Frommeyer" <corwin@palas.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building 4.10 restore from source on 5.2.1?

Hi,

I've run afoul of PR 67723, which seems to also affect the
reading of legacy BSD dump files in addition to breaking the -c
switch. To get around this problem, and prevent my having to
change horses mid-stream and downrev my OS to 4.10, I thought I'd just compile
the 4.10 restore from source on my 5.2.1 system.

I removed the -DRRESTORE from CFLAGS in the makefile since I
don't need remote functionality, but now am
confronted with the following error. While eerily familiar from past
porting issues, I can't place the source of the problem macro. Note that
I am building in /usr/local/src/4.10/sbin to avoid risking pollution of the
5.2.1 source tree. I didn't spot any path problems with this, but I'm
suspicious since I've got what seems to be a missing include file problem.

Any and all pointers and suggestions appreciated. Arguably, this question
should have gone to -current, but since there is already a PR, I thought I'd
first try a list with more tolerance for shenanigans like my attempted
cross-build. :-) Of course if anyone knows of patches for the 5.2.1 restore,
well, sign me up!
Many TIAs,
        Paul

P.S. If anyone thinks the binary of the 4.10 restore would work, I'd
be happy to give that a whirl

P.P.S. Also, if anyone on the dev team thinks it worthwhile, I'd be happy to
submit an update to 67723 with details on the additional errant behavior
I've run afoul of

---[snip]---
[milo2:4.10/sbin/restore]# make
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /local/src/4.10/sbin/restore
cc -O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro -I/local/src/4.10/sbin/restore/../../libexec/rlogin
d  -c restore.c
restore.c: In function `listfile':
restore.c:66: error: `NBBY' undeclared (first use in this function)
restore.c:66: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
restore.c:66: error: for each function it appears in.)
restore.c: In function `addfile':
restore.c:87: error: `NBBY' undeclared (first use in this function)
restore.c: In function `deletefile':
restore.c:130: error: `NBBY' undeclared (first use in this function)
restore.c: In function `removeoldleaves':
restore.c:178: error: `NBBY' undeclared (first use in this function)
restore.c: In function `nodeupdates':
restore.c:239: error: `NBBY' undeclared (first use in this function)
restore.c: In function `findunreflinks':
restore.c:535: error: `NBBY' undeclared (first use in this function)
*** Error code 1

Stop in /local/src/4.10/sbin/restore.

Paul's Fone Company           http://www.palas.com            corwin@palas.com
   Terabit routing, Peering, Metro Ethernet, Content Networking, CCIE