Date:      Sat, 30 May 2009 16:34:43 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, gerald@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Patch] Proposal: USE_GNU89 switch

--XG0jWBK27HhJN4nS

* Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> As for LLVM, probably it won't work out for the whole ports =20
> tree. I don't know what's the portmgr opinion on this, if we start to =20
> use LLVM in Ports Collection, we should reconsider the knob, though.

LLVM/Clang support is trivial. Erwin Lansing fired up an experimental
ports build for us and the numbers are *very* promising. There are still
some issues with the compiler itself, but so far it seems the only
architectural change to the tree that needs to be made, is a hint to
fall back to C89.

This is not just about LLVM/Clang support. If the GCC folks ever decide
to switch to C99 by default, we'll have exactly the same issue.

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/

--XG0jWBK27HhJN4nS