Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 03:37:07 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, FREEBSD-HACKERS <FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FREEBSD-SCSI <FreeBSD-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
Subject:   Re: Announcement: New DPT RAID Controller Driver Available

> haven't had a single failure in that array since. All of our drives have
> fairly well balanced spindles and don't vibrate all that much, and I've never
> seen a reported seek failure or noticed any slowness. In my opinion, the all-

Erm, I think the difference we're probably seeing with wcarchive is
the fact that each drive bay doesn't hold more than 8 drives (most
holding far fewer) and is independantly bolted to the rack.  That
probably provides pretty good vibration isolation, but undoubtedly also
at a drive-to-housing cost ratio which would be unacceptable to the
truly big RAID builder.

I would also be suspicious of the cooling properties of a plastic
drive enclosure (it seems like packing it in a mini-Igloo ice chest
would be no worse to me ;-), but given a much different racking
scenario, say 80 drives in a single free-standing rack, I'm more than
willing to believe that vibration becomes a significant problem
requiring creative solutions.  If it were my fingers signing the P.O.
on a true drive-array-from-hell, I'd probably favor the vendor
providing the best combination of all-metal construction, air-flow,
power supply quality and vibration isolation.

Unless, of course, they had something like the AMES wind tunnel
providing forced airflow past the drives, then I suppose the plastic
sled construction wouldn't really matter much, would it? :-)

					Jordan