Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:50:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David S. Madole" <david@madole.net>
To:        "Adam Kaufman" <adam_kaufman@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-tokenring@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: oltr driver

>> I have gotten the OC-3118 working for a project of
>> mine. It's a quick hack but it works. You can get
>> the replacement if_oltr.c file from:
>
> Thanks, but these are for production machines and I'd
> like something a little more solid.

Interesting -- that's the first time I've heard "token ring" and
"production" used in the same context in a couple of years :)

I didn't mean to suggest it wsn't solid. I've been using it continuously
for a year or so. The only real issues with it are: it can't be compiled
without PCI support also, and it's only known to work with the OC-3118 in
PnP mode.

I would be willing to fix these issues if anyone is interested in it. I
offered about a year ago on the list and no one took me up on it, and it
works as well as I need to the way it is, so it's stayed that way.

> I think I'll buy some cards that are well supported.
> Which would be the best token ring cards (PCI or ISA)
> to use for FreeBSD 4.9 and 5.1?

I'm not sure you could say any cards are "well supported".

The Olicom PCI cards are, I beleive, the only cards supported in standard
kernel sources. I have used the OC-3137 for a couple of years. The driver
is a bit overzealous in logging soft ring errors like insertion of other
nodes, but is basically reliable. I have "tweaked" the driver myself to
inhibit some of the logging.

You should see Matthew Dodd's page at http://www.jurai.net/~winter/tr/ for
more details on drivers. He has several in various stages of being "in the
works."

David