Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:46:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: when does CURRENT fork with 4-STABLE?

> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:29:33 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
> cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > In the past, -stable has only moved to a new branch *months* after the
> > first release from that branch.  The '-stable' designation isn't moved
> > until the branch is, well, stable.  Giving it time to settle out, as
> > it were.  This was the case on 3.0, on 2.2.1, on 2.1.0.

In the private e-mail that "Mick" is quoting here, I also said that I
*had* heard (in some of Jordan's messages) that -stable would be moved
over much more quickly than in past transitions.  I was trying to figure
out if he (Mick) had better information than I, and it turned out that
the answer was 'no.'

Maybe someone who *does* know what they're talking about will speak up
eventually.  Mr. O'Malley and I don't seem to qualify.  At least on the
pedantic point -- for most people's purposes, though, the fact that there
will continue to be a 3-STABLE (and releases from it) long after there is
a 4-STABLE is more important than which one is "really" -STABLE.

Be well.