Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:02:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   proxy arp

Does Proxy Arp work only for sppp/slip or is it a kernel feature that
works generally.

I have a FDDI router (DEFPA on the uplink side, fxp0 100 MBit downlink).
To avoid another network number on the downlink side I would like
to do something that is known as proxy arp in sppp situations
where the dialin host becomes part of the dialup hosts ethernet network.

Is this possible in general with the configuration I'm describing above?

(looking for proxy arp in the Internet (yahoo) reveals that proxy arp
is not unproblematic - Linux seems to have problems with this, natd is
also a source for problems in that area).