Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2012 00:23:35 +0200
From:      Bernhard =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.3

On Sa., 14. Jul. 2012 12:11:41 CEST, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote:

> I just set up a system designed to handle lots of VBox VM's: a 6-core
> SandyBridge processor with 32GB of ram on a FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE host.
>
> Unfortunately, once I got it set up, I found that VBox guest
> performance simply sucks. The *mouse* isn't responsive. Linux guests
> see lots of "CPU Locked" errors.

Does the VM use multiple vCPUs? Does reducing to one vcpu help? I have seen a lot of instabilities and problems in the past when using more than one vcpu. Where is that cpu locked reported? You could also try to build the vbox port with debug option enabled and look at VBox.log which gives probably useful information in case there are soft errors that cause the slowdown or if some of the vt-x features were incorrectly detected and vbox had to fallback to the recompiler (=slow).

> Googling turns up lots of problems with VBox on SandyBridge: Mac's
> running on 64 bit kernels have this problem - running on 32 bit
> kernels helps. Turning off Intel's SpeedStep has been reported to
> help. Turning off VT-X in the guest - if it's a 32-bit guest -
> helps. The last one is the only one that actually helped me.

Just to be sure which vbox version are we talking about? You could try emulators/virtualbox-ose-legacy to verify if it is a regression of 4.1.x.

> I was wondering if anyone here had run into and solved similar
> problems? Or if they were running a similar system, and didn't run
> into that problem? Especially anyone running 9.0 instead of 8.X

I've not heard about that before so it wasn't reported at least.