Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 20:08:41 -0500
From:      User Al Johnson <Al.Johnson@AJC.State.Net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Backup alternatives

I'm in dire need of upgrading one of my systems to 2.2-Stable from
2.2.2.-RELEASE.
I'm going to attempt a "simple" upgrade process since it would take more
than 20 hours
to compile it from source (486/66 16MB) and I can't afford to have my
nfs, web, ftp,
real video, cuseeme server down for that long.  I have a scsi Travan 4
drive on a remote
system (3.0-SNAP) that I want to back up.  What would be the best way to
go about it?
tar? dump? something else?

I've done a backup of the local system to the drive using dump but had
to add some options
to wait until the drive returned eot, otherwise it didn't know the tape
length and kept telling
me I was out of tape after a mere 400MB was written.

Any pointers, including syntax, would be greatly appreciated.

 -- Al