Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:56:09 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ooops - sorry

"Justin T. Gibbs" writes:
> Adaptec has a long history of "providing" for target mode
> in their HBA chips, but never testing it.  My understanding is that
> they did develop target mode drivers for the aic7880 internally and
> they sell them to certain third party integrators, but other than
> this development and the support for target mode in the 1542B (result
> of a NASA contract I believe), Adaptec has rarely supported target
> mode for their HBAs.

The Young Minds, Inc. CD-Studio was/is a 486 MB with custom BIOS and at
least one 1542. There was another card in the machine but I don't
remember if the 1542 or the other card was connected to the workstation
end. One SCSI bus went to your workstation/PC/Mac, the other went to a
HD and CD-R. The CD-Studio emulated an Exabyte 8200 on a couple of
LUN's. One was to control the CD-Studio functions, another was for the
CD-R, another for the dedicated HD, and still another for a Rimage CD
printer. Probably yet another LUN for a robot for automated duplication.

The more I think about it, the more I'm certian the 1542 connected to
HD and CD-R.