Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Undocumented kernel options

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Cliff Addy wrote:

> In the LINT config file, there are a boatload of "undocumented options for
> LINT".  Is there an explanation of them anywhere?  I looked in the
> handbook and couldn't find them.  For example, what is "NMBCLUSTERS" used
> for?  It was mentioned in a recent post, but I could find no clue what is
> does or if it really needs to be cranked up as the poster suggested.

Hi,

	The second hurdle is that sometimes you run out of cluster
	allocation space in the kernel. This is probably network-related
	and usually shows up when something is being done using the
	network (like NFS).  The way to get around this would be to
	change the value of NMBCLUSTERS in your config file. NMBCLUSTERS
	is set at 256 by default, and increased to 512 when the GATEWAY
	option is active. To be very safe, you could add

		options	 NMBCLUSTERS=1024

	to your config file, and recompile. This is reported to work
	with systems that crashed as soon as a large number of people
	(75+) were connected to it.

I found this clip in Dave Burgesses' NetBSD, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD FAQ.
Although for some strange reason I can't find where you can get it,
but it shows up regularly on the BSD news groups and I believe I got
it from FreeBSD-announce.

--
=| Regards,		=| FreeBSD ==> http://www.FreeBSD.org
=| Kevin G. Eliuk	=| "Free at last, free at last, ..."