Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:05:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        tas@stephens.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ELF, System V and multiple ABIs

In article <199902171844.SAA24903@stephens.ml.org>,
Thomas Stephens  <tas@stephens.org> wrote:

> I was looking over the latest System V ABI draft, and noticed there is
> an update (dated April 1998) which includes modifications to the ELF
> format.  Significantly, the usage of the e_ident array in the ElfXX_Ehdr
> structure has changed slightly, in order to allow for multiple ABIs on
> each hardware platform.
>
> While the ELF format defined in the previous draft only used the first
> seven bytes of e_ident, with byte eight (EI_PAD) representing the start
> of padding, the current one adds two new values to support an OS/ABI
> identifier number followed by a version.  As a side-effect, EI_PAD has
> been redefined:
>
> 	EI_OSABI	7 (OS/ABI identifier)
> 	EI_ABIVERSION	8 (OS/ABI version)
> 	EI_PAD		9
>
> This new version of ELF currently defines EI_OSABI values for System V,
> HP-UX and stand-alone (embedded) applications, but it seems to me it
> would make things much easier if all ELF-compatible systems were to
> adopt it.

Thanks very much for pointing this out!  I wasn't aware of it.

I think it would be great to adopt this, and it looks like we could do
it without breaking backward compatibility for our current "branding"
scheme.

Today I have written to a contact at SCO to try to get an OS/ABI code
assigned to FreeBSD.  Hopefully that will bear some fruit and we can
move on to this scheme.

Again, thanks!

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken