Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:20:50 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Steve Brown <freebsd@prayforwind.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD do this...

On Monday 25 February 2002 17:52, Steve Brown wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Someone I know works in a small office (7 Wintels), they are looking for a
> file/print server and internet gateway. Just to get a general idea, should
> they
>
> a) consider a (Netgear or equiv) broadband router whose wan side is on
> internet and one machine behind it is a FreeBSD machine running Samba
> (file/print sharing is what Samba's for, right?) -OR-
>
> b) the FreeBSD machine acts as a gateway as well, no BB router? Can it do
> this and file/print serving?
>
> Decent security required (sensitive personal info involved, but no
> e-commerce).
>
> The proposal they've been offered involves a BB router, everyone behind it,
> including a Win2000 server. This would involve $1700 to Microsoft for
> licences. Would it be worth it to use an opensource solution or would it
> cost more than that for them to pay someone to figure out how to do it with
> FreeBSD?

I've set these kind of things up and it would cost a good bit less to do it
with FreeBSD than $1700 in software.  Setting this stuff up in FreeBSD isn't
terribly difficult, a competent sysadmin can do it in an afternoon.
You have 3 basic costs:
Hardware: about the same, FreeBSD or MS, although FreeBSD will normally
 perform the same on less powerful hardware
Software: $1700 for MS, $0 for FreeBSD
Setup time: Probably about the same cost for either FreeBSD or MS, except
 the FreeBSD system will work reliably for quite a while, while I've never seen
 a Windows system that would run in this capacity for any length of time without
 handholding from the sysadmin.  It should be possible, but I've never seen
 it (I think it's a problem with the Windows sysadmins more than Windows
 itself)

Hell, if you installed the base system and plugged it into the internet, I could
ssh in and configure the whole thing the next day.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services